Given how obvious the evidence for continued global warming is, how can so many people insist the earth is cooling? Even some scientists are making this argument (which just proves you don’t need to be all that smart to be a scientist).
For example, in a recent comment on Climate Shifts, Ron Henzel said:
The track record of global warming kool aid pushers isn’t exactly a sterling one. The decade which is now closing was supposed to be the hottest on record, and we all know how that went. Geologist Dr. David Gee, chair of the science committee of the 2008 International Geological Congress and author of 130 plus peer reviewed papers said, “For how many years must the planet cool before we begin to understand that the planet is not warming? For how many years must cooling go on?” (Dr. Gee is currently at Uppsala University in Sweden.)
Ron questions the precautionary principle and the application of it to climate change on his blog (see our post on this here). Further he suggests that his readers go here for “real information on issues pertaining to climate change”
- Climate Depot (a kind of “Drudge Report” for climate issues).
- Climate Audit (Steve McIntyre is the man who demonstrated that Al Gore’s infamous “hockey stick” graph was a statistical absurdity.)
- Watts Up With That? (one of the best global warming skeptic blogs, edited by former TV meteorologist Anthony Watts).
- “U. S. Senate Minority Report: More Than 700 International Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global Warming Claims Scientists Continue to Debunk ‘Consensus’ in 2008 & 2009″
- Cornwall Alliance (a conservative evangelical response to global warming alarmism).
If you are remotely familiar with the AGW debate, you know how fully debunked the wacky claims made on these sites are.
Also see this article by Christopher Booker in the “Hawaii Reporter”, excerpted below:
2008: Another Grim Year for the Global Warmers
By Michael R. Fox Ph.D., 1/2/2009 10:45:23 AM
The year 2008 marked the tenth consecutive year of no global warming. This is not widely reported or known. In fact the Earth has been cooling for the last 6 years.
“Earth has cooled since 1998 in defiance of the predictions by the U.N.-IPCC. … The global temperature for 2007 was the coldest in a decade and the coldest of the millennium … which is why ‘global warming’ is now called ‘climate change.'” – Climatologist Dr. Richard Keen of the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences at the University of Colorado.
The irrepressible Christopher Booker has noted the large changes in the global warming events during 2008 (http://tinyurl.com/8p7d83).
- 1. Global temperatures continue to decline. Booker says “The decline in global temperatures was wholly unpredicted by all those computer models which have been used as the main drivers of the scare. Last winter, as temperatures plummeted, many parts of the world had snowfalls on a scale not seen for decades. This winter, with the whole of Canada and half the US under snow, looks likely to be even worse. After several years flatlining, global temperatures have dropped sharply enough to cancel out much of their net rise in the 20th century.”
So, why do deniers think the earth is cooling when it clearly isn’t?
(1) They base their opinions on proclamations of others, rather than examining factual evidence and making up their own minds.
(2) They fundamentally misunderstand what is being predicted about the earth’s temperature. Nobody has ever predicted that it will warm every year, with each new year being warmer than the last. Given all the factors that determine climate and global temperature, that would be an idiotic prediction. The prediction is that there will be a warming trend of climate, i.e., on average, over long periods of time (decades to centuries) the earth will warm on average (not everywhere to the same degree).
(3) They simply confuse weather and climate (as has been pointed out here and countless other places over and over again).
Whatever the reason, they are lying about the climate record and deceiving the public with statements like these “Earth has cooled since 1998 in defiance of the predictions” “The track record of global warming kool aid pushers isn’t exactly a sterling one. The decade which is now closing was supposed to be the hottest on record, and we all know how that went.”
Compare these lies with the evidence, such as this figure from the WMOs recent report which stated “The decade of the 2000s (2000–2009) was warmer than the decade spanning the 1990s (1990–1999), which in turn was warmer than the 1980s (1980–1989)”: