Wonder no longer – Rolling Stone has made a list: 12 Politicians and Execs Blocking Progress on Global Warming.
It’s far from exhaustive, but gives a pretty representative sample of the main players in the US, as well as some more familiar faces.
Rupert Murdoch takes the (coveted?) #1 spot, thanks to the continued efforts of The Australian and Fox News to obscure debate and promote doubt in climate science (but it’s always important to consult the experts when reporting on serious matters).
The Koch brothers’ bankrolling of last year’s Proposition 23 (later defeated by a a 23% margin) in California prompted then-Governer Schwarzenegger to aggressively defend the state’s climate legislation, prompting this response to the oil companies’ claims they were trying to protect jobs:
“This is like Eva Braun selling a kosher cookbook. It’s not about jobs at all. It’s about their ability to pollute and protect their profits,” he said.
And then there’s Sarah Palin.
1. Rupert Murdoch –CEO, News Corporation
2. Charles and David Koch –CEO and Executive VP, Koch Industries
3. Sarah Palin –Retired half-term governor, Alaska
4. Gregory Boyce – CEO, Peabody Energy
5. Tom Donahue – President, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
6. Rex Tillerson – CEO, ExxonMobil
7. Tim Phillips – President, Americans for Prosperity
8. Ken Cuccinelli – Attorney general, Virginia
9. Sen. Jay Rockefeller – Democrat, West Virginia
10. Rep. Darrell Issa – Republican, California
11. Bjørn Lomborg – Author, “Cool It”
12. Rep. Fred Upton – Republican, Michigan